Friday, March 2, 2012

The Versatility of Coconut Oil

Since we're (or more accurately, I'M) on the coconut train, I thought I'd post about just how versatile coconut oil is. Always try to choose organic, extra virgin coconut oil if you plan to eat it (yes, you heard, or rather, read that right, coconut oil can do many things, only one of which is be eaten!). Coconut oil has a very long shelf life and one of the highest heat tolerances of all the oils. Grapeseed oil is another great choice for cooking, among other things, but that's a whole other post entirely. You should never cook with olive oil, it has a very low smoking point and becomes toxic if heated to too high a temperature. Coconut oil has a light coconutty flavour and makes a wonderful oil to use when cooking any kind of food, especially Thai. I use it in place of butter or margarine in baking and it works really well. I like it for everything, in fact, I even use a little in the pan to cook my pancakes. Mmmm. Coconut oil is the only oil that the body utilizes for energy immediately instead of storing it as fat. It's provides a great pre workout boost. It's high in lauric acid which is antiviral, antimicrobial, antiprotozoal and antifungal, and is also antibacterial. Internally it wards off many unwanted guests including candida, influenza, measles and many, many more.

 Now here's the fun part. It's also fantastic for your skin and hair. It makes a great makeup remover, busts wrinkles, acts as mild protection from the sun (about SPF 15), moisturizes and all those things it does internally, it does externally. It's properties make it a great treatment for ringworm, athletes foot, rashes, acne, lesions and many other skin disorders. It's great as a moisturizer for troubled teenage skin AND dry, mature skin. I use a little in my hair when it gets flyaway and static-y. It's really great. I have a tub in both my kitchen for cooking and in my bathroom for body use :). I love my coconuts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment