Thursday, March 29, 2012

Do You Like Salad Rolls?

I LOVE salad rolls. Mmmm, do I ever. Nutritionally, they're kind of void of anything really. White rice paper, white rice vermicelli, a couple of small pieces of cilantro or thai basil leaves, usually a bit of carrot and iceberg lettuce/napa cabbage and a couple of prawns and/or pork. And then there's the peanut dipping sauce. I do love the sauce. I don't love that it's peanut though. Last night, I threw a few simple ingredients together to make a quick salad dressing and the stuff made my nutritionally dense salad taste like a salad roll sans the wrap and noodles (and the meat products and the peanuts). I wasn't intentionally trying to do this. I just threw some random things together, drizzled it on my salad and voila, a vegan, peanut free salad roll salad. It honestly did taste just like a salad roll. It was really good. I didn't use any rice vermicelli, but you absolutely could to make it even more salad roll-y (like lazy salad rolls ;)). Just cook and cool your noodles, stir in some dressing, top with your salad and drizzle a little more dressing onto your greens and then gently combine the two.

 Here are the ingredients. I didn't measure anything so just make it to suit your taste and the amount you require. You won't be disappointed!

*Roasted Almond Butter (enough for as much dressing as you'll need, this makes up the dressing base)
*Nutritional Yeast (to taste)
*Unrefined Sea or Himalayan Pink Salt (to taste) - I actually found it didn't NEED the salt, but definitely taste it for yourself and see.
*Chopped cilantro (I used a lot in my salad, so you can either add a fair amount to your salad, or add it to the dressing, or both, it's up to you)

That's it!! Drizzle on your salad and enjoy! You could get really creative and sprinkle some roasted almond pieces on top for garnish, and yumminess, of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment