Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A quick, yummy, revamped childhood snack.

Ok, so peanut butter and peanut products never find their way into my home. There is something (in my opinion) seriously wrong with them. As a kid NOT ONE kid I knew had peanut allergies. None, zero, zilch. And now, it's an epidemic. And the allergies are insanely severe. Very scary. I blame this on improper storage of the nuts (actually, peanuts are legumes) which allows toxic molds to grow on them. Many people are extremely allergic to these molds. YUCK. So peanuts and peanut products are a no go for me. I bet if the peanuts were stored properly and not old/rancid by the time they reach the grocery store, there would be a far lesser problem with them. Walnuts are another biggie for being rancid by the time you buy them. Ever tried a fresh one? I thought I HATED walnuts until I tried fresh ones. Mmm, they are so good. Ok, enough of the nut rant and on to the food :).

Remember 'ants on a log'? Yep, celery topped with peanut butter and raisins.....I used to love that. A super quick, easy snack. Well, here's a safe, super yummy version for all you "Ants on a Log" lovers. Here are the changes (and delicious ones at that):

*Instead of peanut butter I topped the celery with Sunflower Seed Butter (made solely from dry roasted sunflower seeds, organic, of course) and currants (only because I'm not a huge raisin fan, I much prefer currants). You could top your celery with any type of nut or seed butter or even try Tahini for something different. But I have to say, Sunflower Seed Butter seems to be the tastiest of the ones I've tried so far (I find almond butter incredibly bland). You could make a sweet nut/seed butter by blending it with a bit of healthy sweetener such as dates, honey, coconut sugar etc. and then top with cocoa nibs instead of currants or raisins. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment