Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wanna know the cure for a cranky body? Hit the gym and follow it up with a delicious dinner!

Today when I woke up my body decided it was cranky. CRANKYYY. So, I headed out to the gym to teach it that there's no room for cranky. A little hard work deserves a reward, no? Of course it does! So the reward is a super yummy dinner consisting of flourless cornbread and spicy black bean soup. Mmmmmm, talk about comfort food, without the guilt! And oodles of complete protein (that doesn't come from our furry friends). Such an amazing, satisfying late lunch/dinner. I added a small vegan ceasar salad as an appie, 'cause who doesn't love a good appie?

Here's the Black Bean Soup Recipe (soup is kind of individual, so use this as a guideline and adjust to your taste):


*Approximately 1 litre of veggie broth (either homemade or store bought)
*1/2 bunch fresh cilantro chopped into very small pieces, stems and all (or more if you love cilantro, like me...I also garnished the top of my soup with fresh cilantro once is was in the bowl, yummo!)
*1/2 a can stewed tomatoes or two small fresh tomatoes diced up
*Approximately 1 1/2 cups black beans (either canned or home prepared)
*One can corn kernels (Try to use organic corn products when possible. Anything non organic is GMO)
*1 fresh jalapeno, finely chopped (you can use a hotter pepper if you wish, I would have if I had known I'd bought a dud jalapeno....How can you call yourself a jalapeno if you have no heat?)
*Salt (to taste, I don't like putting amounts for salt, everyone's different)
*2 tsp cumin (more if you LOVE cumin, like I do)
*1 tsp Coriander (optional)

Put everything into a pot, except the canned corn and black beans then bring to a boil and simmer about 15 minutes or so. Taste your soup, adjust seasonings to your liking. Add the black beans and simmer another 10 minutes. If your soup seems to watery and not chunky enough for you after you add your black beans (don't forget you're going to be adding a whole can of corn), feel free to simmer with the lid off and reduce your soup a little. Reduce heat to low and when it's just off a boil, add your canned corn (you don't want to boil the corn, just heat it, or it'll get all mooshy). Continue to cook until your corn is warmed through.

Serve with warm cornbread. I'd post the recipe I used, but it's not mine. I'll see if I can get permission to link the site from here if anyone's interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment