Friday, July 6, 2012

Vegan Cheese Review Pending...

So I caved in and splurged on a vegan version of Pepper Jack cheese. I was originally planning to make a healthier version of poutine (which could still happen), but mostly, I wanted to make a tortilla or enchilada pie. I was going to use my go to vegan cheese solution - nutritional yeast - but curiosity got the best of my skeptical self and I purchased a bag of Daiya brand cheese. The ingredients on this cheese actually impressed me - it's totally allergen free - no soy, no casein, no wheat and the list goes on. Plus, it was made with actual food products, not some strange concoction of science experiments that somehow end up as some kind of franken-food. I know what everything in the ingredients are and I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't. I haven't got around to actually trying it yet, but I forsee a tortilla/enchilada pie happening this weekend at some point and I will be sure to share my findings. I'm a little leery to try it straight out of the bag as I'm not quite that convinced it'll be palatable...But this stuff is actually supposed to melt.....Melty, cheezy goodness. Well, those are my hopes anyway. I really don't miss dairy, and believe me, my body certainly doesn't miss it either, but there are a few things I'd like to have once in a while; pizza, poutine, nachos, grilled cheese sandwiches, even vegan scalloped potatoes or vegan cheese scones. These things are all treats, certainly NOT part of my daily or even weekly/monthly routine.

Well, it would appear that Summer has finally decide to arrive here on the West Coast and I'm going to head out there an enjoy it in case it decides to take another holiday.

Get out there, get your daily fill of vitamin D and enjoy the sunshine! Don't forget, berries are almost in full swing! Be sure to get your hands on those sweet little gems packed full of fiber, antioxidants and vitamins! Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, oh my! And when September rolls around, we get another burst of delicious blackberries! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment