Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sweltering Summer Heat Relief With A Delicious, Easy Sorbet

It's been progressively getting hotter here by the day for the past week or so. The dogs are dying, I am dying and my cat, the weird creature that he is, seems to want to sidle up beside the nearest HOT body and cuddle. No one is impressed with this....Not in this heat.

So, to try to cope, I whipped up an amazingly simple and delicious sorbet (or sherbert of sorts as I added a little almond milk). I absolutely LOVE my Vitamix in the summer. There's nothing it can't do! So on to the amazalicious, super easy, sugar free sorbet.

Grab your Vitamix, other high powered blender or a food processor might even work (I haven't tried, so I'm not sure) and pour in about 1/4 - 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of choice - I used Silk Almond milk, it's by far my favourite. SUPER thick and creamy. I used the unsweetened one), one fresh nectarine, two frozen bananas, and 2-3 cups of frozen strawberries. I've learned a trick with my Vitamix and making sorbets and other frozen desserts - don't fill it much past the 4 cup mark or it's pretty difficult to blend, so base your amount of strawberries loosely on that parameter. I think for this batch I was closer to the 5 cup mark, but it worked fine with some aggressive tamping. Once all of your goodies are in your blender, turn it on, increase the speed and flip the super speed switch (Vitamix's have this set up). Blend and use your tamping tool to push the ingredients into the blades until it's smooth and four 'pillows' or mounds form. Once those mounds form, stop blending and serve your delicious sorbet. I had some leftovers, amazingly, so I poured what was left into popsicle molds and froze them. An incredibly easy, healthy, summer treat. Feel free to use any fruit you like, just make sure the majority of it is frozen (and by majority, I mean close to all of it), or you'll end up with something closer to a smoothie, which is still really great and you can pour it into popsicle molds for healthy frozen treats on a stick. Who doesn't love treats on a stick?

Optional additions and/or garnishes that are super yummy:
Mint leaves, lime juice and zest, lemon juice and zest, cocoa nibs, leave the milk out and have more of a traditional sorbet, add more milk (preferable pre frozen in ice cube trays) for something more like ice cream - full fat canned coconut milk makes AWESOME ice cream, really rich and creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment