Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Amazing Almost Raw Gingerbread Balls in 5 Minutes!

Since I've been refined sugar and wheat free (and I don't use chemical sugar substitutes) I've had a craving for my most favourite type of cookie (well, a close second to chocolate chip), GINGERBREAD! Yum. I used to love making gingerbread houses and plastering on as many smarties as I could possibly fit onto the roof and anywhere else I could make them work. There is NOTHING more delicious than chocolate and gingerbread. Unfortunately there is no chocolate in this recipe, only soft, delicious gingerbread cookie balls, or shapes....Whatever you do with the spicy goodness is up to you. It'll take 5 minutes, that's it. 5 minutes to bliss. Here we go....

You'll need a food processor. A Vitamix may work, I've never tried it though.

1 cup almonds
1- 2 tsp cinnamon
1 - 2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 Tbs organic molasses
1 Tbs vanilla extract
Pinch salt (optional)
1/2 Cup organic dried apricots
1/2 Cup organic dates

***Please note that these are all approximations. Your dried fruit may be wetter, dryer etc, you may need more or less. I like really spicy gingerbread, so I used the larger amounts, but again, use your discretion and add to your personal tastes. With the molasses, I just eyeballed approximately 2 Tbs. If your dough is too wet, add more nuts, if it's too dry, add either more fruit, molasses or vanilla extract.


Directions:
Place your almonds and spices into your food processor and process until well combined and finely textured. Add your molasses and vanilla extract while the processor is running. Begin to add your dried fruit slowly and allow to process a bit with each addition before adding more. Keep an eye on the consistency. You want your dough to form a ball in the processor, then you know it's not too wet and not too dry. Roll into balls or refrigerate for a little while to cool the dough, roll it out and cut into gingerbread men or whatever you like. Best stored in the fridge. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment