Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Perfect Hot Summer Morning Breaky (or snack, or dessert)

A while back I threw a concoction together with the hope of satisfying a few cravings. I wanted something not too sweet, a little chocolatey, a little fruity and frozen, but I didn't want sorbet or ice cream. I threw a few simple things together and what I got did the job, and did it well. Shortly after taking my first bite, addiction set it. I originally made this as a dessert and quickly realized that it would make a great breaky/snack or pre or post workout snack, for a warm day of course (there are frozen ingredients and I'm a total wimp when it comes to the cold, so enter warm, sunny morning or roaring fire in the woodstove). It's simple, delicious and packed full of nutrients. So let's get to the ingredients:

*Frozen raspberries (you could probably use any kind of frozen berry, I just adore raspberries....Blueberries would be yummy too)
*Almond Milk (or milk of choice - I used the unsweetened original Silk brand)
*Unpasteurized Honey - If you have issues with honey, maple syrup would probably be really good too or if you're ok with using agave, try that. 
*Hemp Hearts
*Cocoa Nibs

Put a layer ( a couple of handfuls) of frozen raspberries in a bowl and pour some almond milk over them (don't drown them though, you want to be able to see some raspberries) - The almond milk freezes around them, sooo good!

Drizzle honey(or liquid sweetener of choice) over the raspberries and top with a generous serving of hemp hearts and cocoa nibs.

Repeat. Easy on the almond milk for the final layer, just pour over the berries to coat them - they almost look like yogurt covered berries when the thin layer of milk freezes on them.

I do two layers and my bowl is full. And when I'm finished eating, so am I.

And there you have it, a simple treat fit for breakfast or anytime of day. Be careful though, it is addictive :).

No comments:

Post a Comment