Thursday, November 8, 2012

After a long silence, I'm back.

Hi everyone.

I know, I know, I've been very quiet here on my end. Life is crazy, things get in the way, and honestly, I wasn't sure if anyone was actually reading the posts or not. I'm back to post a few insightful tidbits that I've learned along my way to optimum health. I've learned a lot about myself personally and have been able to really think outside the box on a few things. Seeing new clients, having a few issues of my own and diving back into the wide world of research and life long learning, I'm starting to realize, now more than ever, that there is some pretty sketchy dietary advice out there, some pretty sketchy and downright dangerous fad diets (ie. low to no carb - paleo - which seems to be all the rage right now, and ones that even SOUND healthy -insert raw diet here- and I understand there is "real" science behind raw diets, which is all well and good until people start to get sick because it simply doesn't work for certain constitutions - again, one size does not fit all). I've been broadening my horizons and thoughts on nutrition, digestion, and what I've always known, how one diet DOES NOT fit all. Never has, never will. We all have very different constitutions, very different levels or rates of digestion, and different requirements all round. I've done the low carb thing (for me it was VERY short term to regulate blood sugar - 4 weeks or so is all, and definitely moderate as far as animal protein went, certainly not to Paleo extremes) and yes, you do lose "weight" but "weight" isn't necessarily fat, and long term proper studies have shown that low carbers do not lose more weight than any other kind of diet, they just drop the weight a little quicker initially. Never mind ruining your kidneys, colon and brain. I've done 100% raw and crashed after a few months, and I was one of the ones 'doing it right'. Didn't work for me or anyone else I know who's done it. That being said, it's a fantastic SHORT TERM cleanse option and it does in fact work for some long term, so I've been told. I advise most people to visit their natural health care practitioner first to get an understanding of their bodies and personal needs and to find out what time of year they should be partaking in a raw diet. Nasty things happen when you do it at ill suited times for certain constitutions. You will NOT feel better, but worse, and can damage your digestive system. I  personally was stuck on my 'high raw' diet. Turns out, high raw only works for me during the hot summer months, definitely not in the fall, winter and most likely spring. So to get back on point here, the perfect diet is very individual and is important not only in weight management, but in how you feel, your energy levels, how you sleep, how you function day to day, how often you get sick etc. Nutrition is of the utmost importance. You are not what you eat but what you absorb. There are many factors that play into what kind of diet is best for you. You can't go wrong with whole, clean foods. That being said, the ratio and how you eat these foods are very individual. That's where it gets interesting and finding a good natural health care practitioner to work with is very important. It will mean the success or failure in your long term health goals. As I've mentioned before on this blog, I have a local practice where I do Iridology, Reflexology, Kinesiology, and Herbalism along with nutritional counseling which is always included in the initial visit. There's my shameless plug. Be sure to check in with your doctor or natural health care provider before making any drastic changes to your diet. I can't stress that enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment